PTH PCB holes for maximum COOLING
Plated Through Hole (PTH) PCB holes offer superb heat dissipation. Using an optimum hole pattern, designers can tune their PCBs temperature properties
Steps for PTH hole patterns for cooling PCBs
- Drill holes 0.5 mm (finished approx. 0.4 mm). Swap X&Y in example as required.
- Drill first a row of holes in X with pitch 0.7 mm, not less to obtain minimum 0.2 mm substrate between holes.
- Then drill 2nd row like the first but offset 0.6 mm in Y and offset half the X-pitch in X, and drill one hole less than first row.
- Then repeat above with pitch 1.2 mm in Y as many times as required.
- Copper plate holes 0.25 um min, more if feasible but not less!